Skip to content

Civil Liability Insurance

If your primary employment is in Queensland Health, Education Queensland, Housing, Child Safety* or Disability Services — or in an area of Together coverage of the private sector, and you are an allied health professional — you have civil liability insurance as part of your Together union membership fees.

This is a collective levy that you pay as part of your membership fees, which means it is a fraction of the cost you would pay for individual cover.

To be eligible for Together’s civil liability insurance coverage you must be a financial member of your union Together, and an allied health professional*.

The civil liability insurance policy reflects the requirements of the various national registration boards where possible (there are ambiguities in the registration standards of some national boards that are subject to future clarification) and Telehealth procedures are covered.

The insurance policy is underwritten by Medical Malpractice Civil liability Insurance and includes both civil liability and legal benefits cover:

  • Civil liability - up to $10 million for any one claim, and $70 million in the aggregate during the insurance period.
  • Legal benefits – up to $100,000 in legal costs for any one claim, and $700,000 in the aggregate during the insurance year.

All figures quoted above apply to the combined costs for eligible members during the insurance year.

Eligible Allied Health Professionals who have secondary employment in Private Practice, you are covered by the Together policy provided that you are a sole trader who does not operate as a partnership, or as a business name (registered or unregistered) or as a registered company, and your gross income from the private practice is less than $25,000 during the period of insurance (financial year).

The policy is written on a ‘claims made’ basis which means any circumstances or incidents that may lead to a claim being made under the policy must be notified to the insurer as soon as possible.You can contact your union office on 1800 177 244 for assistance in notifying of an incident or if you require further information.

*Members employed by Child Safety Services, with the exception of those employed as administrative officers or business officers within Service Centres, are covered under this civil liability insurance policy.

Download the civil liability flyer